Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Lesson 1: Signing Space, A-Z, Numbers 1-10

Here is my first lesson! In this video you will learn:
*What signing space is
*A-Z
*Numbers 1-10

Please forgive me for these first few videos. When I talk I say "like" all the time (I know, total valley girl!), and when I sign I say "ok" and "so" all the time. It is just a bad habit that I am trying to get over (and trust me, my teachers hate it more than anyone! Haha!). 

The first part of the video is voice off, but I start talking at around the 0:45 mark. I talk a little quiet because technically there were other people in the building, so you might need to turn up your volume a bit in order to hear me. If you choose not to listen, there is, as always, a translation below the video.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments! Thanks!


Translation:

"Hey everyone! My name is Kylee, which I know you all already know. This is the first video with a lesson! I'm so excited. Today I am going to teach three things: one, what signing space is, second is the ABC's, and third is numbers 1-10. Ok? Now I am going to voice and sign at the same time, alright? So I am goint to start voicing with signing for a minute. To teach you what signing space is, what's that. Most of your signing is going to happen right here. It's kind of like from shoulder to shoulder and then from your forehead to your chest. If you go up or down or huge, it gets really hard to follow you, so you need to stay put. Another thing is with your fingerspelling, it needs to stay right here (by your shoulder). You can't be all over the place. Normally, that is. If it is for like teaching you can, but really, most of the time you are going to stay right here. Ok? And then your dominate hand is the hand you feel most comfortable with. Ok? Like, for me it's my right hand because I write with my right hand, haha. So I fingerspell and most of the signs are with this hand. Ok? So you are going to use that for fingerspelling. You can't switch it up—you need to stay with one hand. We are going to start with the ABC's. A, B, C, it looks just like a c, D, make sure you don't get sloppy with this one like do it like this, E, it's another one I used to get sloppy with. Make sure you get all your fingers down. F, G, it's like you are going to pinch your fingers, H, I, J, just so you know, I is done like this (thumb on the outside), not like this (thumb across hand), K, L, oh, K is another hard one. You are going to  put your fingers like this, split them, and then put your thumb in the middle, L, M, N, O, looks just like an O, P, you are going to take a K and flip it, so there's P, Q, take a G and flip it too, so Q, or Q, yes Q, haha. R is just crossies, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z you just draw it. So now let's just go through it real fast. A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z. Ok! So now for numbers! Numbers 1-10 are pretty easy, so we will start with those. So we have 1, make sure your palm is facing you. So 1, 2, now here's the hard part. If you do this, it looks like a W to me. It is 3. It's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, now you are going to swap your hand around. These ones are harder! 6 is with your pinkie, 7, 8, 9, and then wiggle your thumb for 10. So one more time. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Ok! That's it for today! See you next time!"

No comments:

Post a Comment